Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Information For Job Seekers In Singapore


I spent quite sometimes before and after graduation from NUS Singapore trying to find ‘good job’ for me. During this time I did research and tried many ways on how to find ‘good job’ in Singapore for me. And in this article I would like to share some of it.

Finding a ‘good job’ in Singapore may seem easy for some people but for me it is a quite long journey.It is not because lack of positions here but mainly I can not suit my expectations and experiences with the companies expectations ( mostly my expectation higher than the companies here ). Not to be snobbish but I spent quite sometimes working in a big multinational companies ( not in Singapore ) and even held position as expatriate.That is why my expectation is not the same with most of the fresh graduates from NUS Master Programmes.

One of the best way to find job positions in Singapore is by registering and accepting regular newsletters from online job databases.

There are several good online job databases containing position in Singapore as follow :

1.Jobstreet.com ( www.jobstreet.com )

One of the best and many companies here in Singapore post their positions here.

The update is qute fast. Some companies also use its website facility for their online applications and recruitments. You can realize it from the directed website address to jobstreet.com when you apply into this companies.

2.Monster.com.sg ( www.monster.com.sg )

I got several calls and interviews from employers who read my online resume in Monster. It is one of the effective way of reaching unknown employers and job positions.

3.Jobsdb.com ( www.jobsdb.com )

Quite big one also and wellknown ( also in Indonesia and several other Asian countries ). But never got any calls from employers who use its database.

4.ST701 ( www.st701.com )

This is a relatively new online job database. It is a baby of SPH ( Singapore Press Holding ). Most of the positions are exact positions advertised on Straits Times before ( also a subsidiary of Singapore Press Holding ).

Another way to find job positions is a conventional one. Simply buying Straits Times,Singapore local newspaper every Saturday. The Saturday edition always have special section for job advertisement. Sometimes it can take up to 50% of the total newspaper content on that day. It is only 80 Cent ( equivalent 4800 Rupiah ) here and worth to buy and read.

Alternatively you can also put your resume and contact several job agencies here in Singapore. There are so many job agencies here ( hundred of them ). Some of them charge you money for their services.The rest charged it to the companies which take you in. I prefer the second one as it is cheaper for us,job seekers.

Several job agencies here :

  1. MichaelPage ( www.michaelpage.com.sg )

One of top job agency here. Mostly managing senior and managerial positions. The wellknown term for them is Executive Search or Head Hunter.

I personally being interviewed by them once and got good and professional impression about them.

  1. Adecco (http://www.adecco-asia.com/singapore/home.asp ) Quite big job agency here with the headquarter in Germany.It has several branches in Singapore alone. I personally being interviewed by them once also.

That is some of my knowledges about searching jobs in Singapore based on my own personal experience. Hopefully can be useful.


Cheers,

Herman

No comments: